Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Venison -frozen


Venison is the only meat I can think of that is actually easier to prepare when still frozen. We can a lot (most) of our venison but do freeze all of the tenderloins and larger steaks.

Since I didnt grow up eating venison and didnt really get many chances to try it, I was convinced I hated it. Dales dad cooked it the first time I actually remember eating it and I was shocked that not only did it not taste terrible, I loved it! A while later I tried cooking some for our dinner and it was awful. Needless to say, it DOES matter how it is cooked and it took me a few times watching Dale before I figured it out well enough to make myself. (Though it was nice when I didnt know since that meant he cooked!) Venison is now one of our staples and every one of the children love it.

In a large (10") skillet -cast iron is best- melt 1 stick of butter. Add 1 whole onion diced or sliced (your preference) and garlic (fresh or minced and as much as you like- I do 2 or 3 cloves fresh). Cover and cook while you prepare the meat.

Take frozen venison steaks and slice them in thin medallions. It actually cuts easier while frozen and you also save the juice that way since it is frozen right into the meat. Sometimes I take them out an hour or so before cooking so they are easier to take out of the package. Other times I use hot water to loosen them.

Add the venison to the skillet, stir to mix together, cover, and simmer for an hour.

Stir occasionally but not necessary.

After abt 30 mins, test for tenderness. If still a bit tough, cook longer. If tender,leave uncovered and simmer, stiring often, until juices have mostly absorbed. Once the juices are reduced, it is ready!

Love served with a hot baked potao and cheddar cheesy broccoli.


sent via mobile posting

No comments:

Post a Comment